Reduce maternal, child deaths: Harsh Vardhan
New Delhi: Laying stress on reducing the number of maternal and child deaths in accordance with the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan Saturday asked doctors of a city hospital to be "zero tolerant" of inefficiency and "pro-active" in performing their duties.
"The MDG deadline is September 2015 and we are still a long way off. There are many things you all could do to reduce the mortality rate of children. If developed countries can do it, we too should because there is no paucity of money or human resources," he told the doctors and staff of Kalawati Saran Children`s Hospital here.
The United Nations` (UN) MDGs -- ranging from halving extreme poverty rates to halting the spread of HIV/AIDS and providing universal primary education -- form a blueprint agreed to by all the world`s countries and all leading development institutions.
Harsh Vardhan, who visited the hospital to review the sanitation drive, spent close to two hours inspecting every ward and department along with toilet facilities, an official statement said.
Reviewing the infrastructure, Harsh Vardhan assured that the vacant posts of doctors, staff and faculty at Lady Hardinge Medical College (part of Kalawati Saran Hospital) will be "filled up soon".
He added that the health ministry will ensure the proposals sent by the hospital were cleared expeditiously.
"I will be keen to see improvements in your hospital because it is crucial to our objective of meeting the UN deadline," Harsh Vardhan added.
Harsh Vardhan, who interacted with departmental heads, was told the hospital lacks full time technicians to attend to problems with equipment immediately.
He was told that due to this, the hospital has to "reluctantly" rely on vendor technicians, the statement said.
It added the minister noted inconsistencies in the prescriptions written by resident doctors and said: "Senior doctors need to train the juniors on the necessity of rational prescribing of drugs."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22