Rehearsals for R-Day parade from Thursday
New Delhi: Rehearsals for Republic Day will be held from Thursday with police today asking commuters to expect congestion near India Gate and its surrounding areas till noon.
The rehearsals for the January 26 parade will be held tomorrow and on Friday, Sunday and Monday.
"The rehearsal will be from Vijay Chowk to India Gate. The timing of the parade will be between 9:00 AM and 12 noon and traffic will be stopped by 8 AM. It will not go to Red Fort as it is done on the Republic Day," a senior police official said here.
Motorists are advised to avoid Rajpath area before noon as the roads will be closed, he said.
"As a consequence, Rajpath will remain closed from Vijay Chowk to India Gate for traffic from morning on 17th, 18th, 20th and 21st," the official said.
"Congestion is expected around Rajpath particulary near India Gate. People must avoid areas surrounding Rajpath and India Gate upto 12 noon," he said.
People may use Ring Road, Mother Teresa Crescent and Mathura Road. Buses also will be diverted.
Commuters should use the Metro for hassle-free movement on rehearsal days, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj