`Release man jailed for nonpayment of alimony`
New Delhi: A Delhi Court has ordered release
of a man lodged in a jail for over six months after his failure to pay the arrears of maintenance amount awarded to his wife.
Additional Session Judge (ASJ) Vijay Kumar Dahiya
directed release of a man, a resident of Najafgarh in West
Delhi, who was behind bars since October last year.
The session court gave its judgement on the plea of the
man who came in appeal against the magistrate court`s verdict,
which had ordered attachment of his property and remanded him
in jail for a period of one month as he failed to pay the
arrears of maintenance to his estranged wife since their
divorce in 2009.
However, the man was not released and his detention was
further extended for another one month by the magistrate on
the plea of the wife. He remained in jail for over six months.
Earlier, the magistrate had awarded interim maintenance
of Rs 1,500 per month on the woman`s plea seeking relief under
the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act.
Being aggrieved with the magistrate court`s order denying
his release, the man moved the session court in December,
"I am of the opinion that the order (of magistrate) is
per se illegal," the ASJ said quashing the magistrate`s order.
"Therefore, the order is hereby set aside. Needless to
say, that the respondent (woman) is at liberty to take action
against the appellant (man) in the court of competent
jurisdiction for future defaults of payment of arrears of
maintenance of each English calender month, if so advised.
Appeal is thus disposed off accordingly," the ASJ said.
The counsel for the man had contended that the trial
court is only empowered to impose sentence in case of non
compliance of order under relevant provision of law but such
sentence cannot exceed more than one month.
"The accused is behind the bar for more than one month as
such custody of the man for more than one month in default of
payment of arrears is illegal," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM