Remove entry fee on buses to Vaishno Devi, Amarnath: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday expressed its ire over
imposition of entry fee on vehicles carrying pilgrims to
Vaishno Devi and Amarnath shrines in Jammu and Kashmir and
warned that it will launch an agitation if the "jaziya-like
tax" was not withdrawn.
Party general secretary Vijay Goel said for the first
time an entry fee of Rs 2,000 has been imposed on all buses
carrying pilgrims to any of the two shrines.
"This decision of the Jammu and Kashmir government to
impose fee on lakhs of pilgrims going for darshan of Baba
Amarnath and Mata Vaishnodevi by their private vehicles is
reminiscent of Jaziya imposed during Mughal period on Hindus,"
Rs 2,000 will be charged as entry fee from buses carrying
pilgrims to Mata Vaishnodevi shrine and Rs 2,000 more per day
if they stay for more than seven days.
Similarly, entry fee of Rs 2,000 will be charged from
buses carrying pilgrims of Amarnath Yatra. If people go for
pilgrimage of Amarnath for seven or less days by their own
vehicles, they would be charged Rs 2,000 as entry fee and if
they choose to stay for more than seven days they would be
charged Rs 2,000 extra for each additional day.
"If this entry fee is not withdrawn then the people will
be forced to go on an agitation," Goel warned.
He further alleged that Rs 25,000 was being charged from
those who arrange `langar` (community lunches) during Amarnath
When informed that restrictions had also been imposed on
Haj pilgrims -- liking fixing their number -- Goel said, "We
are not in favour of fixing quota in any pilgrimage."
He called upon the UPA government to direct the Jammu and
Kashmir dispensation to desist from making attempts to
"discriminate" between followers of various religions. He
asked the Omar Abdullah government not to practice such
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'