Reservation issue: Jat leaders to meet Sonia Gandhi on Sunday
New Delhi: Jat leaders will meet Congress chief Sonia Gandhi on Sunday against the backdrop of government asking the backwards commission to take an expeditious call on granting the community reservation in central government jobs.
The meeting of the jat community leaders with Gandhi assumes significance as the decision of the Union Cabinet is being seen as an effort of the UPA to woo the community ahead of the Lok Sabha elections due next year.
The Union Cabinet on Thursday had asked the National Commission of Backward Classes to take a final call on granting them with OBC status at the central level.
The Cabinet decided that the NCBC should reconsider its earlier decision of 2011 in which it had rejected demands for reservation to the community at the central level.
If jats are included in the central list of OBCs, they can avail benefits of reservation in central government jobs and central education institutions as per the existing norms.
The demand for reservation for Jats has come from nine states -- Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Uttarakhand and Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal along with a likely 10-member cabinet to take oath today
- Know how long Sonu Nigam sang on the streets for the ‘beggar’ video
- Know what Irrfan Khan has to say about Marathi blockbuster ‘Sairat’
- Louis van Gaal axed by Manchester United as Jose Mourinho waits in wings
- President Pranab Mukherjee sets off on 4-day visit to China today