Reserve seat for MDS course till its further order: HC to AIIMS
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday asked All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) to keep a seat available till the disposal of a plea seeking a direction for reservation for OBC category in Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) course commencing from July this year.
"Respondent (AIIMS) shall keep one seat available till further order in the case," Justice Jayant Nath said and posted the matter for July 16 for arguments on a plea of Anusar Gupta, first rank holder in OBC category in post- graduate MDS course, who was refused admission on OBC seat in the institute.
Filing the plea through counsel Nitin Kumar Gupta, the petitioner said there are five seats alloted for the MDS course but not a single seat has been reserved by the institute this year for OBC category students, which is illegal as there is a provision of 27 percent reservation of seats for OBC candidates in every institute.
Gupta in his plea said that "he has been denied admission in OBC category due to wrong and illegal calculation or allocation of seats for OBC candidates, wherein not even a single seat has been reserved for OBC candidates (27 percent reservation) despite having a total of five seats."
His counsel told the court that AIIMS has failed to adhere to allocation of 27 percent total seats for OBC category candidates, which is contrary to the settled law.
The plea said AIIMS has "wrongfully" combined MD/MS seats with MDS seats though the two courses belong to completely different categories. MD/MS degrees are for medical courses whereas MDS degree is for dental course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report