Respite for North India from extreme cold
New Delhi: There was some respite for North
India from the cold wave on Sunday with minimum temperatures
rising slightly even as snow and rains lashed the region.
Fresh snowfall across Kashmir brought some respite to
residents of the valley from the extreme cold wave as minimum
temperatures rose by several degrees.
The snowfall resulted in a sharp increase in minimum
temperature across the valley.
Srinagar recorded a minimum temperature of minus 3.5
degrees Celsius, which was 4.3 degrees more than yesterday`s
record-breaking minus 7.8 degrees Celsius.
Similarly, Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir,
recorded an increase of 7.8 degrees Celsius in minimum
temperature to settle at minus 5.2 degrees.
The snowfall and subsequent rains in south of Pir Panjal
mountain range, however, led to complete closure of the
Srinagar-Jammu National Highway again, that was recently
opened for partial traffic after remaining closed due to heavy
Giving respite to residents braving bitter chill,
temperatures in Punjab and Haryana went up by a few notches
due to moderate to heavy rains that lashed many parts of the
Rains lashed the Union Territory of Chandigarh since
early this morning, taking the temperature to 6.2 degree
In Haryana`s Ambala, mercury went up a notch above normal
and was recorded at 7.2 degree Celsius owing to light rains.
Bhiwani and Hisar, which witnessed light showers, recorded
minimums of 6.6 and 5.4 degree Celsius. Similarly Karnal, that
also received moderate rainfall, settled above normal at 7.1
In Punjab, most of the places received rains including
Pathankot, Gurdaspur, Ropar, Mohali, Patiala, Jalandhar,
Ludhiana and Amritsar.
The minimum at Amritsar, which had been reeling under
intense cold for the past over a week, rose by three notches
above normal to settle at 6.6 degree Celsius.
After a couple of chilly days with mercury remaining at
below normal levels, the temperature has risen above normal
levels today. The minimum at 9.5 degree celsius is two degrees
The MeT office had predicted dense fog in the morning but
belying the predictions, it was a clear and sunny day.
Night temperatures increased by few notches in several
parts of Rajasthan too, giving much-needed relief to people
reeling under intense cold wave for the past few days.
Sikar recorded the lowest temperature of 3.8 degrees
Celsius followed by Churu where mercury stood at 4.4 degrees
Celsius, Met department sources said.
Mount Abu, Chittoragrh, Sawaimadhiopur and Vanasthali
recorded minimums of 5, 5.6, 5.8 and 5.9 degrees Celsius
respectively, they said, adding that night temperature in
other parts of the state was between 6.8 to 13.2 degrees
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM