Rise in cases of cruelty by husbands against women in Delhi
New Delhi: Women in the national capital seem to be as unsafe in their homes as they are outside with close to 1,500 cases of cruelty against them by their husbands or relatives registered during 2011.
According to Home Ministry data, there has been a surge in instances of violence against women by someone from the family as 1,498 such cases were registered in the capital during 2011 as against 1,273 in 2010 and 1,177 in 2009.
The data, based on cases of crime against women in six metro cities, also revealed that there were 1,355 such cases registered in Hyderabad, 557 in Kolkata, 458 in Bangalore, 393 in Mumbai and 229 in Chennai from January-December 2011.
During 2010, 1,420 cases of cruelty by husbands or relatives were registered by Hyderabad Police, 400 in Kolkata, 398 in Bangalore, 312 in Mumbai and 125 in Chennai.
According to the data by National Crime Records Bureau under the Ministry of Home Affairs, 1,363 such cases were registered in Hyderabad in 2009, 434 in Mumbai, 411 in Kolkata, 367 in Bangalore and 154 in Chennai.
Besides, as many as 556 cases of molestation were registered in Delhi, 553 in Mumbai and 254 in Kolkata during 2011. As many as 250 such cases were registered by Bangalore Police, 157 in Hyderabad and 73 in Chennai in 2011.
About 162 cases of sexual harassment were registered by Chennai Police, 149 in Delhi, 144 in Kolkata, 121 in Chennai, 93 in Hyderabad and 40 in Bangalore between January and December 2011, the data said.
Women in the national capital seem to be as unsafe in their homes as they are outside with close to 1,500 cases of cruelty against them by their husbands or relatives registered during 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’