Rise in drugs and arms seizure in Delhi: Police
New Delhi: Seizure of drugs and illegal arms
registered a rise in the capital last year compared to 2010
with Delhi Police attributing it to an aggressive campaign.
There was over five-fold increase in narcotics-related
cases in the capital with police registering 1,127 drug
peddling cases in 2011 compared to a lowly 197 in 2010.
According to Delhi Police`s 2011 annual report, a case of
`narco-terrorism` was also reported last year with police
arresting a Manipur-based insurgent allegedly with 1,200 kg of
ephedrine meant for manufacturing party drug `ecstasy`.
The report said 1,285 drug peddlers were arrested last
year as against 291 in 2010.
The investigators seized 57.9 kg of heroin or smack last
year as against 26.1 kg in the previous year while they
recovered 144.3 kg of opium in 2011 in comparison to 42.2 kg
Other seizures include ganja (2,724 kg as against 2,098.3
kg in 2010) and cocaine (728 grams as against 108 grams).
"There has been a massive crackdown on drug abuse and
drug peddlers leading to huge detections of narcotics.
Seizures of drugs was 1,964 kg more, ie. 4,556 kg as against
2,602 kg in the previous year," the report said.
Similarly the seizures of illegal firearms rose
significantly to 562 in 2011 as against 461 in 2010, it said,
adding 2,439 ammunition were also seized as against 1,165 in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly