Rising malnutrition figures a wake-up call: President
New Delhi: Terming the rising malnutrition figures in India as a wake-up call, President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday said checking it alone can help the country achieve the target of sustained and inclusive growth.
Launching the first-ever national Information, Education and Communication (IEC) campaign against malnutrition in India, the President called for a concerted drive against malnutrition and said utmost priority must be accorded to prevent it.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has earlier described malnutrition as a "national shame".
"This is disturbing.... These figures are a wakeup call for all of us and underline the need for concerted drive against malnutrition, and until we ensure good nutrition and health for our children and their mothers we cannot achieve our targets of sustained and inclusive growth," Mukherjee said.
Challenged by shocking levels of malnutrition among children below five years in India, 42 per cent of whom are underweight, the Ministry of Women and Child Development has roped in actor Aamir Khan and ace lyricist Prasoon Joshi to steer the awareness campaign through advertisements in all mediums - radio, print and television.
The campaign to be launched in 18 languages will see Aamir communicate the importance of good nutrition to the people and giving them tips on simple and easy ways of checking malnutrition.
Mukherjee said "utmost priority must be accorded to prevent malnutrition, as early as possible and across the life cycle, to avert irreversible cumulative deficit in our growth and development. We must do our utmost, at a time when Indian economy is on a strong positive growth trajectory."
Describing his engagement in shaping the campaign as a great learning experience as this was not easy communication, Aamir Khan said, "if our children are not healthy then we start on a back foot".
The malnutrition campaign will be rolled out in an
evolutionary manner of four stages. While first stage will create awareness on symptoms of malnutrition for a period of eight weeks, the second stage gives a clarion call and is spread over six weeks.
In Stage 3, there are key messages on basic critical practices for maternal and child care as prevention from malnutrition and Stage 4 will inform the public about acquiring services and Mother Child Protection card.
Malnutrition among children and women has been a grave concern for the country and it was the decision of the Prime Minister`s Council on India`s Nutrition Challenges that one of the best strategies to combat the problem of malnutrition would be to educate and empower the families and mothers on better care of their children.
The Ministry of Women and Child Development, taking this decision forward, has designed the campaign with technical support of UNICEF.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India