Road mishap victim awarded Rs 11.30 lakh compensation
New Delhi: A 31-year-old man, who suffered "100 per cent loss of functional ability" after he was hit a rashly-driven car, has been awarded Rs 11.30 lakh as compensation by a motor accident claims tribunal here.
The tribunal asked ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay Rs 11,30,207 to victim Chander Pal of South Delhi.
The order came on Chander Pal`s complaint, which said he was hit by a rashly-driven Maruti Wagon R on November 26, 2009 night as he was riding his bicycle back home at Pul Prahladpur near Saket here.
He said he received injuries in the accident and was taken to AIIMS Trauma Center where he was admitted for three days and later shifted to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital.
The tribunal awarded the compensation after a medical expert deposed before it that the victim`s condition is not likely to improve and he has been rendered incapable of doing any job.
"Sufficient material has been placed on record to prove the factum of negligence on the part of driver in plying the offending car rashly and negligently and in causing the accident of petitioner (Pal)," MACT Presiding Officer Nirja Bhatia said.
"I am of the view that he has suffered 100 per cent loss of functional ability as not only his mental capacity but also the physical capacity is diminished due to his suffering from uncontrolled seizures despite adequate medication which may leave the chances of his finding any probable employment as virtually nil," the presiding officer said.
The owner of the car, Ram Lachhin, claimed he had been falsely implicated in the case and the car`s driver Pradeep Tiwari contented that he was not the driving the car at the time of the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report