Road mishap victim awarded Rs 11.30 lakh compensation
New Delhi: A 31-year-old man, who suffered "100 per cent loss of functional ability" after he was hit a rashly-driven car, has been awarded Rs 11.30 lakh as compensation by a motor accident claims tribunal here.
The tribunal asked ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay Rs 11,30,207 to victim Chander Pal of South Delhi.
The order came on Chander Pal`s complaint, which said he was hit by a rashly-driven Maruti Wagon R on November 26, 2009 night as he was riding his bicycle back home at Pul Prahladpur near Saket here.
He said he received injuries in the accident and was taken to AIIMS Trauma Center where he was admitted for three days and later shifted to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital.
The tribunal awarded the compensation after a medical expert deposed before it that the victim`s condition is not likely to improve and he has been rendered incapable of doing any job.
"Sufficient material has been placed on record to prove the factum of negligence on the part of driver in plying the offending car rashly and negligently and in causing the accident of petitioner (Pal)," MACT Presiding Officer Nirja Bhatia said.
"I am of the view that he has suffered 100 per cent loss of functional ability as not only his mental capacity but also the physical capacity is diminished due to his suffering from uncontrolled seizures despite adequate medication which may leave the chances of his finding any probable employment as virtually nil," the presiding officer said.
The owner of the car, Ram Lachhin, claimed he had been falsely implicated in the case and the car`s driver Pradeep Tiwari contented that he was not the driving the car at the time of the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof