Road mishap victim`s family gets Rs 34.5 L compensation
New Delhi: The family members of a 39-year- old man, who died in a road accident involving a rashly driven truck, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 34.5 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
The tribunal directed HDFC Ergo General Insurance Company Ltd, with which the offending truck was insured, to pay Rs 34,58,673 to the wife, two minor kids and mother of victim Sanjay Kumar.
"From the statements of the prosecution witness Prem Kumar (eye witness) and in view of the record of the criminal case regarding the accident, it is proved that Sanjay Kumar (victim) sustained fatal injuries in the accident which occurred on January 6, 2011 due to rash and negligent driving of offending vehicle (truck) driven by its driver," MACT Presiding Officer Kiran Bansal said.
Sanjay`s wife, resident of Khajuri Khas in north east Delhi, said in her petition that the accident took place on the evening of January 6, 2011 when the man was going to Noida for official work on his scooter.
When he reached at sector-63 in Noida, a speeding truck, being rashly and negligently driven by Saddam, came and hit the two-wheeler, it said.
Due to the impact, the victim fell down and sustained fatal injuries. He was taken to Fortis Hospital where he was declared brought dead by the doctors, she said.
A criminal case was also registered against the driver at Police Station Noida, Sector 58.
Sanjay was working as sales executive with a private firm and was earning Rs 20,000 per month.
The truck driver and owner, in their written statement, claimed that the driver was not at fault and the accident occurred due to rash and negligent attitude of the Sanjay himself.
The tribunal, however, rejected their contention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter