Road mishap victim`s mother gets over Rs 20L compensation
New Delhi: A Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) has awarded over Rs 20 lakh compensation to the mother of a 23-year-old youth who died in a road accident due to the "negligent driving" by the driver of an auto rickshaw in which he was traveling.
The tribunal directed the National Insurance Company, insurer of the offending auto rickshaw, to pay a compensation of Rs 20.09 lakh to the mother of Abdul Mutalif for his "untimely" death when the auto driver rammed his vehicle into a truck here in September 2011.
It relied on the testimonies of the deceased` mother Bibi Mayana and one Asmat Ali, who was with Mutalif in the auto at the time of the accident.
"From the testimonies, it is proved that Abdul Mutalif died due to the injuries sustained in the accident due to rash and negligent driving of the auto rickshaw driver," MACT Presiding Officer KS Mohi said.
The tribunal noted that the driver of the offending vehicle, Mohammad Mubarak, also died in the accident and his legal heirs, who were representing him, failed to appear in the court.
"This fact has not been controverted by the respondents (driver-cum-owner of auto and insurance company) and no contrary evidence to that effect has been brought on record. Driver`s legal heirs did not appear in court," said the tribunal while directing the insurance company to pay the compensation to Mutalif`s mother within 30 days.
Mutalif, a resident of Harijan Basti in Vasant Kunj here, was on his way to the railway station to meet his maternal uncle early in the morning on the fateful day, testified his accompanist Asmat Ali who was also injured in the mishap.
When the auto reached the area of Hyatt flyover, Africa Avenue here, the driver hit against a truck due to which all the occupants of the vehicle sustained injuries, Ali said.
The deceased was taken to AIIMS JPN Trauma Centre where he succumbed to his injuries. He was working in a private company on a salary of Rs 12,500 per month.
The tribunal observed that the auto driver was driving rashly and despite Mutalif repeatedly asking him to slow down, the driver did not listen and rammed into a truck resulting in the death of Mutalif and the driver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth