Roadblock for MCD parking lot in walled city
New Delhi: The MCD`s plan to construct a
multi-level parking lot at the parade ground here to ease the
traffic woes in the congested walled city appeared to have run
The Archaeological Survey of India has raised objections
to the site in view of its proximity with various heritage
structures in the area, sources said.
The work on the Rs 50 crore multi-level under-ground car
parking had begun on Tuesday. The facility will accommodate
about 700 vehicles.
MCD spokesperson Deep Mathur said the corporation is yet
to receive a written communication or a formal order from the
ASI regarding the issue. "We will try to resolve all problems
and once the ASI is satisfied, we will continue with the
work," he said.
The MCD had selected the parade ground site after the
parking facility to be constructed at Shaheed Park was denied
ASI approval for being located within 100 metres of monuments
like Khooni Darwaza and Ferozeshah Kotla ruins.
Earlier last month, an organisation that holds Ramlila
celebrations at the ground every year, wrote to MCD protesting
against the proposed project saying that it will disrupt the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...