RPN Singh represented govt at Delhi gang-rape victim’s funeral
New Delhi: Minister of State for Home RPN Singh represented the government at the funeral of the 23-year-old woman who died of injuries after her brutal gang-rape here on December 16.
"I was there as representative of the government" Singh told a news agency.
The body was brought for the funeral in Delhi at around 6.26 am, said Singh. A small ceremony was performed, according to Hindu rites, where the body was bathed and the clothes were changed, before the funeral pyre was lit at 7.25 am, the minister said.
The funeral was held under secrecy "as we wanted to respect the privacy of the family", claimed Singh.
The minister was at the funeral site for about an hour, he said. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was also present.
The woman`s body was brought to the capital from Singapore at 3.30 am and the funeral was held just after sunrise, in accordance with the wishes of her family.
Sunrise on Sunday was at 7.13 am, an India Meteorological Department official told a news agency.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi were at the airport when the body arrived and consoled the family of the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state