RPN Singh represented govt at Delhi gang-rape victim’s funeral
New Delhi: Minister of State for Home RPN Singh represented the government at the funeral of the 23-year-old woman who died of injuries after her brutal gang-rape here on December 16.
"I was there as representative of the government" Singh told a news agency.
The body was brought for the funeral in Delhi at around 6.26 am, said Singh. A small ceremony was performed, according to Hindu rites, where the body was bathed and the clothes were changed, before the funeral pyre was lit at 7.25 am, the minister said.
The funeral was held under secrecy "as we wanted to respect the privacy of the family", claimed Singh.
The minister was at the funeral site for about an hour, he said. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was also present.
The woman`s body was brought to the capital from Singapore at 3.30 am and the funeral was held just after sunrise, in accordance with the wishes of her family.
Sunrise on Sunday was at 7.13 am, an India Meteorological Department official told a news agency.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi were at the airport when the body arrived and consoled the family of the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred