RPN Singh represented govt at Delhi gang-rape victim’s funeral
New Delhi: Minister of State for Home RPN Singh represented the government at the funeral of the 23-year-old woman who died of injuries after her brutal gang-rape here on December 16.
"I was there as representative of the government" Singh told a news agency.
The body was brought for the funeral in Delhi at around 6.26 am, said Singh. A small ceremony was performed, according to Hindu rites, where the body was bathed and the clothes were changed, before the funeral pyre was lit at 7.25 am, the minister said.
The funeral was held under secrecy "as we wanted to respect the privacy of the family", claimed Singh.
The minister was at the funeral site for about an hour, he said. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was also present.
The woman`s body was brought to the capital from Singapore at 3.30 am and the funeral was held just after sunrise, in accordance with the wishes of her family.
Sunrise on Sunday was at 7.13 am, an India Meteorological Department official told a news agency.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi were at the airport when the body arrived and consoled the family of the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands