RPN Singh represented govt at Delhi gang-rape victim’s funeral
New Delhi: Minister of State for Home RPN Singh represented the government at the funeral of the 23-year-old woman who died of injuries after her brutal gang-rape here on December 16.
"I was there as representative of the government" Singh told a news agency.
The body was brought for the funeral in Delhi at around 6.26 am, said Singh. A small ceremony was performed, according to Hindu rites, where the body was bathed and the clothes were changed, before the funeral pyre was lit at 7.25 am, the minister said.
The funeral was held under secrecy "as we wanted to respect the privacy of the family", claimed Singh.
The minister was at the funeral site for about an hour, he said. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was also present.
The woman`s body was brought to the capital from Singapore at 3.30 am and the funeral was held just after sunrise, in accordance with the wishes of her family.
Sunrise on Sunday was at 7.13 am, an India Meteorological Department official told a news agency.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi were at the airport when the body arrived and consoled the family of the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened