Rs 1 cr relief for road mishap victim`s kin
New Delhi: Motor Accident Claims Tribunal has ordered an insurance company to pay a compensation of over Rs one crore to the family members of a woman, who had died in an accident involving a rashly driven truck here.
The MACT directed New India Assurance Company Ltd, with which the offending truck was insured, to pay Rs 1,00,42,362 to the husband and two minor kids of Mondira Acharjee who had died in the road accident that took place in December 2008.
The tribunal said the amount also included compensation awarded to Mondira`s husband and their two children, who had received grievous injuries in the accident, and the cost for damages to their car in which they were travelling.
"It is apparent from the FIR and testimony of PW-1 (Mondira`s husband) that the driver of the vehicle (truck) was negligent and the accident resulted because of negligence of its driver," MACT presiding officer Arvind Kumar said.
Mondira`s husband Amitva Acharjee, an advocate, told the tribunal that the accident took place on December 28, 2008 when he along with his wife and school-going children was returned to Delhi from Amritsar.
He said the accident took place at Bahalgarh crossing at G T Road, Sonipat when the truck driven by Kulwant Singh came in a rash manner from behind and overtook their car and stopped at left side without any indicator. The truck came in front of the car leaving no space for the vehicle due to which he had to suddenly apply brakes and his car rammed into the truck.
Amitva and his family members had suffered injuries and were rushed to a hospital. His wife succumbed to the injuries in the hospital, whereas he and their two kids were discharged after treatment.
Seeking compensation, Amitva said his 43-year-old wife was employed in a firm as a deputy financial controller and was getting around Rs 50,000 as salary per month.
The truck driver and the insurance firm had contested the plea, saying the accident took place due to the negligence of the car`s driver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan