Rs 1 lakh reward for man shot dead by burglars
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Wednesday rewarded Rs
one lakh to the family of a 40-year-old man, who was shot dead
by a group of burglars he chased, in recognition of his brave
Harish Kumar`s wife, a resident of Indira Park in Palam
village, was handed over the Rs one lakh cheque by Police
Commissioner Y S Dadwal at a function here.
Kumar`s neighbour Rishi Chauhan (28) who also joined him
in chasing the burglars was given Rs 50,000.
The burglars had entered the house of 67-year-old
Damyanti Devi, who was living alone, on the night of February
Hearing the cries of the woman, Kumar along with Chauhan
had chased the burglars and managed to catch hold of two of
the robbers while another two escaped.
When angry residents beat up the duo, one of them fired
two rounds from his country made pistol with a bullet hitting
Kumar in the chest. The other bullet caught Chauhan in the
Kumar was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was
declared brought dead but Chauhan survived. In the ensuing
commotion, the two robbers also managed to flee.
"The reward has been given in recognition of the extra
ordinary courage shown by late Harish Kumar and Rishi Chauhan
in chasing and attempting to catch the burglars who struck at
the house of their neighbour," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today
- Chilli-based PAVA shells may replace pellet guns in Jammu and Kashmir