Rs 1 lakh reward for man shot dead by burglars
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Wednesday rewarded Rs
one lakh to the family of a 40-year-old man, who was shot dead
by a group of burglars he chased, in recognition of his brave
Harish Kumar`s wife, a resident of Indira Park in Palam
village, was handed over the Rs one lakh cheque by Police
Commissioner Y S Dadwal at a function here.
Kumar`s neighbour Rishi Chauhan (28) who also joined him
in chasing the burglars was given Rs 50,000.
The burglars had entered the house of 67-year-old
Damyanti Devi, who was living alone, on the night of February
Hearing the cries of the woman, Kumar along with Chauhan
had chased the burglars and managed to catch hold of two of
the robbers while another two escaped.
When angry residents beat up the duo, one of them fired
two rounds from his country made pistol with a bullet hitting
Kumar in the chest. The other bullet caught Chauhan in the
Kumar was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was
declared brought dead but Chauhan survived. In the ensuing
commotion, the two robbers also managed to flee.
"The reward has been given in recognition of the extra
ordinary courage shown by late Harish Kumar and Rishi Chauhan
in chasing and attempting to catch the burglars who struck at
the house of their neighbour," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!