Rs 1 lakh reward for man shot dead by burglars
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Wednesday rewarded Rs
one lakh to the family of a 40-year-old man, who was shot dead
by a group of burglars he chased, in recognition of his brave
Harish Kumar`s wife, a resident of Indira Park in Palam
village, was handed over the Rs one lakh cheque by Police
Commissioner Y S Dadwal at a function here.
Kumar`s neighbour Rishi Chauhan (28) who also joined him
in chasing the burglars was given Rs 50,000.
The burglars had entered the house of 67-year-old
Damyanti Devi, who was living alone, on the night of February
Hearing the cries of the woman, Kumar along with Chauhan
had chased the burglars and managed to catch hold of two of
the robbers while another two escaped.
When angry residents beat up the duo, one of them fired
two rounds from his country made pistol with a bullet hitting
Kumar in the chest. The other bullet caught Chauhan in the
Kumar was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was
declared brought dead but Chauhan survived. In the ensuing
commotion, the two robbers also managed to flee.
"The reward has been given in recognition of the extra
ordinary courage shown by late Harish Kumar and Rishi Chauhan
in chasing and attempting to catch the burglars who struck at
the house of their neighbour," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam