Rs 17,323 crore allocated to Minority Affairs Ministry
New Delhi: Minority Affairs Ministry, which had sought an eight-fold hike in the Plan outlay, will have to be content with 137 per cent rise in the allocation for 12th Five-Year Plan (2012-17).
The ministry headed by Salman Khurshid has been allocated a sum of Rs 17,323 crore for this plan. In the 11th Plan, it had got the budgetary support of Rs 7,283 crore.
The proposed allocation for the 11th Plan was Rs 17,224 crore against which the final allocation was fixed at Rs 7,000 crores.
However, the expenditure had gone up and the total budgetary support at the end of the 11th Plan for the ministry had come to Rs 7283 crore.
The ministry had projected an outlay of a whopping Rs58,589 crore, compared to Rs 7,000 crore in the 11th Plan (2007-12), formulating its proposals on the basis of the recommendations of a Working Group on Empowerment of Minorities.
An indication of what the ministry would get under the 12th plan was available when the government allocated a sum of Rs 3,135 crore as its annual Plan outlay for 2012-13 in the Union Budget in the the first year of the 12th Plan period, on ad hoc basis in February 2012.
The ministry`s proposals in the Plan years had sought many fold enhancements in allocations for its existing 12 schemes and huge outlays for the 10 new schemes it proposed proposed to be implement during the five years.
A massive outlay of Rs 28,275 crore was proposed for four scholarship schemes, pre-matric scholarships, post-matric scholarships, merit-cum-means scholarships for professional and technical courses and for Maulana Azad National Fellowships.
The ministry had also projected an enhanced expenditure of Rs 23,380 crore for the Multi-Sectoral Development Programme (MSDP) for 169 minority concentration districts (MCDs). In the 11th Plan, the programme covered only 90 MCDs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional