Rs 3 lakh monetary relief to widow
New Delhi: Following a recommendation by the National Human Rights Commission, Delhi government has paid Rs three lakh in compensation to the widow of a man who died after falling into an open manhole three years ago.
The government informed the NHRC that the monetary relief has been paid to the wife of deceased Devender Kumar Prasad, an NHRC spokesperson said on Friday.
A case has also been registered against the negligent Junior Engineer of Municipal Corporation of Delhi, North Shahdara and has been arrested, he said.
The Delhi Government was also directed to take necessary steps for prevention of recurrence of such incidents of death/injury to any person in future due to falling into any open manhole. The manhole must be covered with lids.
Even during construction work, the danger mark at the site should be prominently displayed for information of public.
The Commission has been informed that all necessary safety precautions as recommended by it have been put in place. A copy of the proof of payment has also been received by the Commission, the spokesperson said.
The incident took place in March 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what