Rs 55 lakh reward for clues on Jama Masjid attack
New Delhi: Groping in the dark in the
September 19 Jama Masjid attack case, Delhi Police on Thursday
announced a reward of Rs 25 lakh for anyone with information
on the car blast that occurred there and increased the reward
from Rs 10 lakh to Rs 30 lakh for clues on firing at Taiwanese
With this, the total amount of reward for credible
information related to the attack has gone up to Rs 55 lakh.
Police said the information should come to them within a year.
The two incidents where unidentified motorcycle-borne
attackers shot and injured two Taiwanese nationals outside the
Masjid and a crude pressure cooker bomb blast took place in a
car parked nearby created scare among Delhiites ahead of the
2010 Commonwealth Games.
Commissioner of Police B K Gupta announced that Delhi
Police will give a cash reward of Rs 25 lakh for anyone who
may give information or clues about any person involved in the
car blast on September 19.
A car went up in flames when a "crudely-circuited"
pressure cooker bomb exploded about 50 metres away from the
Jama Masjid where the firing incident took place two hours
Though police and other investigating agencies suspected
the involvement of Indian Mujahideen, no one has been arrested
yet in the case by the Delhi Police Special Cell which is
probing the case.
Gupta also announced that he has enhanced of the amount
of reward from Rs 10 lakh to Rs 30 lakh for any information on
the firing incident that injured two Taiwanese tourists.
A month after the incident, Delhi Police had in October
last year announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh for information
about the two bikers who fired at the tourists or anyone who
helped the attackers.
A day ahead of the announcement of the reward in October,
two Kashmiris had approached the police claiming that they
were sent to paste inflammatory posters on Ayodhya in central
Delhi by some persons who were harassing their families.
Though police investigated whether those people who sent
the Kashmiris to Delhi were involved in the firing incident,
no breakthrough was made in this direction.
Investigators have questioned over 50 people in
connection with the strikes but "no concrete" headway has been
made in the probe while several teams had gone to Uttar
Pradesh and Mumbai to find some links in the case.
Police initially attributed the incident to "disgruntled
youths and local criminal gangs" ruling out involvement of any
organised terror outfit.
The assertion came despite the outlawed Indian Mujahideen
claiming responsibility for the strikes and warning of more
attacks ahead of the Games in an e-mail sent to several media
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information