RS members clash with BJP over Lankan Tamils
New Delhi: DMK, a key UPA ally, on Wednesday joined
AIADMK in staging a walkout in the Rajya Sabha after Deputy
Chairman K Rahman Khan did not allow discussion on the
problems of Tamils in Sri Lanka.
Members from Tamil Nadu, including from the Left parties,
wanted the short duration discussion on the problems of Sri Lankan Tamils on the day itself, while the BJP pressed for a debate on the burning issue of corruption.
The argument was about, which of the two subjects should be taken up first. While BJP Deputy Leader S S Ahluwlia wanted discussion on corruption in the wake of Hazare`s agitation, members from Tamil Nadu were unrelenting in their demand.
Hoping the issue could be resolved through a brief adjournment, Khan adjourned the House for 15 minutes at around 1210 hrs. When the House reassembled, the Chair gave the ruling that the Tamil issue would be taken up tomorrow.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla also favoured that corruption debate should take place today itself.
This led to the DMK and AIADMK members protesting and staging a walkout.
"DMK is part of the government, what is happening in the government," D Raja (CPI) said, as he also sought an assurance from all sections of the House that the problem of Sri Lankan Tamils was not limited to Tamil Nadu.
RJD and LJP also wanted discussion on Tamils issue today itself.
But, finally the issue was resolved after the BJP members said the Tamil issue could be taken up tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert