RS members clash with BJP over Lankan Tamils
New Delhi: DMK, a key UPA ally, on Wednesday joined
AIADMK in staging a walkout in the Rajya Sabha after Deputy
Chairman K Rahman Khan did not allow discussion on the
problems of Tamils in Sri Lanka.
Members from Tamil Nadu, including from the Left parties,
wanted the short duration discussion on the problems of Sri Lankan Tamils on the day itself, while the BJP pressed for a debate on the burning issue of corruption.
The argument was about, which of the two subjects should be taken up first. While BJP Deputy Leader S S Ahluwlia wanted discussion on corruption in the wake of Hazare`s agitation, members from Tamil Nadu were unrelenting in their demand.
Hoping the issue could be resolved through a brief adjournment, Khan adjourned the House for 15 minutes at around 1210 hrs. When the House reassembled, the Chair gave the ruling that the Tamil issue would be taken up tomorrow.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla also favoured that corruption debate should take place today itself.
This led to the DMK and AIADMK members protesting and staging a walkout.
"DMK is part of the government, what is happening in the government," D Raja (CPI) said, as he also sought an assurance from all sections of the House that the problem of Sri Lankan Tamils was not limited to Tamil Nadu.
RJD and LJP also wanted discussion on Tamils issue today itself.
But, finally the issue was resolved after the BJP members said the Tamil issue could be taken up tomorrow.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know