RS polls: Sinha objects to BJP support to independ
New Delhi: Rift in BJP over its decision not to field any candidate from Jharkhand for the Rajya Sabha elections came to the fore on Tuesday with senior leader Yashwant Sinha saying he was "pained" by the party`s support to an independent candidate and seeking corrective steps.
Sinha raised the issue of BJP`s tacit support to independent candidate Anshuman Mishra at the Parliamentary Party meeting this morning and said someone from the party should have been fielded.
He sought the intervention of senior BJP leader L K Advani who promised to speak to party President Nitin Gadkari.
"I have come across information according to which a certain person who has filed his nomination in Jharkhand as an independent candidate is also being supported by the BJP.
"Six BJP MLAs have signed his nomination papers and top members of the BJP were present when this gentleman was filing his nomination paper. So a clear impression has gone that he is supported by the BJP," Sinha told reporters while referring
Feeling "pained" by this, he said, "I believe if we had to put up a candidate, we should have put up a worker of the party who has spent not years, but decades working for the party and not brought somebody from the outside and imposed
him on Jharkhand and on the party."
Sinha said he had raised the issue at the meeting of the Parliamentary Party.
"I said that our MLA should not be put on the auction block to the highest bidder and I am very satisfied that Advani ji has promised that he will speak to the National President of BJP and try and sort out the issue," he said.
Sinha said he would wait for the outcome of this intervention by Advani and then talk to media, if necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS