RTI activist goes missing in Delhi
New Delhi: A 38-year-old RTI activist, who had
helped expose the MCD `ghost employees` scam, went missing
from east Delhi since Thursday and was "traced" in
Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh, police said on Saturday.
Shiv Kumar Tiwari, who had carried out a sting operation
on NDMC officials and Delhi Police personnel for taking bribe
and filed a complaint in the the MCD `ghost employees` case,
has gone missing from east Delhi`s Ghazipur two days ago.
"We have traced him to Muzaffarnagar and is being brought
to Delhi," a senior police official said. However, he did not
provide further details.
Tiwari is a florist who owns a shop in Connaught Place
and had gone to buy flowers from Ghazipur market in the early
hours of Thursday along with one of his employees Chandan when
he went missing.
Police had registered a case soon after the family
approached police about the incident.
After it was alleged that MCD officials were involved in
fraudulent withdrawal of salaries on behalf of hundreds of
non-existent employees, it was revealed that 22,853 gardeners
and sweepers were `ghost` employees on the civic agency`s
payrolls and salary had been drawn on their behalf.
It had caused a loss of about Rs 500 crore to the public
exchequer in five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Australia coach Darren Lehmann backs Steve Smith's Sri Lanka series opt out
- Indonesia steps up fire response as haze blankets Singapore
- SC restrains Tamil Nadu Police from arresting Sasikala Pushpa
- Singapore's Deputy PM calls on Narendra Modi
- AIMIM to move to SC against Bombay HC verdict on allowing women entry to Haji Ali