RTI task force seeks protection for whistleblowers
New Delhi: A special task force set up by
the government to ensure effective implementation of RTI has
sought protection for whistleblowers.
It has asked the government to frame laws and devise
mechanism to protect RTI activists across the country.
"A meeting will be held later this month with the
representative of the Ministry of Home Affairs," an official
of the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), the nodal
agency for implementation of the transparency Act, said.
The move assumes significance as there has been a spurt
in incidences of violence against RTI activists.
The task force, created by DoPT, aims at seeking ways for
effective implementation of Section 4 of the RTI Act, which
aims at bringing in more transparency and accountability in
Under Section 4 of the RTI Act, a public authority --
including ministries, departments, PSUs -- is duty-bound to
maintain all its records duly catalogued and indexed and put
it in public domain.
"We have asked the government to provide security for RTI
activists. It will encourage whistleblowers and others to work
for bringing in transparency in the system," said Ajay Dubey,
an RTI activist.
The Task Force will finalise its recommendation by July
31 and submit it to the department for consideration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon