Ruchika case: SPS Rathore to be stripped of police medal
New Delhi: Former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore,
who got a light punishment in the Ruchika Girhotra molestation
case that had triggered a huge controversy, is being stripped
of the meritorious service medal he had received.
68-year-old Rathore was convicted for molesting budding
tennis player Ruchika who later committed suicide, but he got
away with six months imprisonment.
This triggered a public outrage and led to strong demands
that Rathore be stripped of the medal. The Union Home Ministry
approached President Pratibha Patil on the issue.
Sources said Patil gave her assent to the ministry and
authorised that the the retired official, who had molested the
girl 19 years ago, be stripped of the medal.
The Home Ministry action came on a recommendation made by
the Central Police Awards Committee (CPAC).
The CPAC, headed by Home Secretary Gopal K Pillai,
recommended to the President for the withdrawal of the
1985 police medal given to Rathore for "moral turpitude" or
bringing "disrepute or disrespect" to the service following
The six-month sentence for Rathore had also led to a
furore which forced the government to take several steps
including a direction to the CBI for appealing against the
verdict and seek a maximum punishment (two years) for the
The Home Ministry has also served a show cause notice to
Rathore asking as to why his pension and other post-retirement
benefits should not be reduced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir