Ruchika case: SPS Rathore to be stripped of police medal
New Delhi: Former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore,
who got a light punishment in the Ruchika Girhotra molestation
case that had triggered a huge controversy, is being stripped
of the meritorious service medal he had received.
68-year-old Rathore was convicted for molesting budding
tennis player Ruchika who later committed suicide, but he got
away with six months imprisonment.
This triggered a public outrage and led to strong demands
that Rathore be stripped of the medal. The Union Home Ministry
approached President Pratibha Patil on the issue.
Sources said Patil gave her assent to the ministry and
authorised that the the retired official, who had molested the
girl 19 years ago, be stripped of the medal.
The Home Ministry action came on a recommendation made by
the Central Police Awards Committee (CPAC).
The CPAC, headed by Home Secretary Gopal K Pillai,
recommended to the President for the withdrawal of the
1985 police medal given to Rathore for "moral turpitude" or
bringing "disrepute or disrespect" to the service following
The six-month sentence for Rathore had also led to a
furore which forced the government to take several steps
including a direction to the CBI for appealing against the
verdict and seek a maximum punishment (two years) for the
The Home Ministry has also served a show cause notice to
Rathore asking as to why his pension and other post-retirement
benefits should not be reduced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30