Ruckus in Haryana Assembly over Kanda issue
Chandigarh: Pandemonium prevailed in the Haryana Assembly on Friday with opposition Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) and ruling Congress exchanging heated words over the alleged role of former minister Gopal Goyal Kanda in the suicide of air-hostess Geetika Sharma.
Immediately after the obituary references, leader of opposition Om Parkash Chautala made a vociferous demand seeking adjournment of the House on the Kanda issue.
Chautala was joined by his party members on the issue which led to a ruckus in the House.
Chautala asked Speaker Kuldeep Sharma to suspend the question hour on the opening day of the session and allow INLD`s adjournment motion on the Kanda issue.
However, the Speaker rejected the opposition demand and started listing names of members whose questions were listed for the question hour.
INLD MLA Ram Pal Majra, whose question was also listed, started reading out the suicide note of Geetika Sharma instead of his question.
Interrupting Majra, the Speaker asked him not to make a speech and instead ask his listed question.
Intervening in the matter, Congress MLA Anand Singh Dangi brought it to the notice of the House that the Geetika suicide case is sub-judice.
Unhappy over the turn of events, the INLD flock, led by Ajay Singh Chautala, trooped into the well of the House and flashed some papers which were purportedly the copies of the suicide note of Geetika.
The INLD members had heated exchanges with the treasury benches on the issue. They also raised slogans in the well of the House forcing the Speaker to adjourn the House for 15 minutes.
As the House re-assembled after the 15-minute adjournment, un-relenting INLD MLAs again rushed to the well of the Assembly shouting slogans on the issue of adjournment motion on Kanda.
With things going haywire, the Speaker again adjourned the House for the second time.
Kanda is currently in the custody of Delhi police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi