Rules for contesting MCD polls amended
New Delhi: Delhi State Election Commission
today amended rules restricting people from fighting the Municipal elections from wards that does not fall under the jurisdiction of the respective MCD as the city will now have
The existing rules have been amended in a way that only a
person who resides within the jurisdiction of the Municipal
Council can contest elections.
The rules amended by the Commission headed by Rakesh Mehta say that a person cannot contest elections from an area which does not fall into the jurisdiction of the particular MCD.
The amendment is necessary as the Centre has approved
trifurcation of Municipal Corporation of Delhi. After this
April elections, the city will have MCD-South, MCD-North and
For instance, a person who resides in an area that falls
under the MCD-East can only contest in wards that come under
the said council and not from the other two councils.
The State Election Commission has begun identifying seats
for women. But the method followed by it has invited criticism
from the ruling Congress with Delhi Congress chief J P Agarwal
criticising the move.
Some of the bigwigs in Municipal Corporation of Delhi
(MCD) will lose their strongholds to women or Scheduled Caste
candidates in the upcoming civic body polls.
Fifty per cent of the seats have been reserved for women
in the upcoming polls.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India