Rules for contesting MCD polls amended
New Delhi: Delhi State Election Commission
today amended rules restricting people from fighting the Municipal elections from wards that does not fall under the jurisdiction of the respective MCD as the city will now have
The existing rules have been amended in a way that only a
person who resides within the jurisdiction of the Municipal
Council can contest elections.
The rules amended by the Commission headed by Rakesh Mehta say that a person cannot contest elections from an area which does not fall into the jurisdiction of the particular MCD.
The amendment is necessary as the Centre has approved
trifurcation of Municipal Corporation of Delhi. After this
April elections, the city will have MCD-South, MCD-North and
For instance, a person who resides in an area that falls
under the MCD-East can only contest in wards that come under
the said council and not from the other two councils.
The State Election Commission has begun identifying seats
for women. But the method followed by it has invited criticism
from the ruling Congress with Delhi Congress chief J P Agarwal
criticising the move.
Some of the bigwigs in Municipal Corporation of Delhi
(MCD) will lose their strongholds to women or Scheduled Caste
candidates in the upcoming civic body polls.
Fifty per cent of the seats have been reserved for women
in the upcoming polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital