`Sachin’s nomination to RS is Cong masterstroke`
Kanpur: Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Sunday termed the nomination of cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha as Congress` "masterstroke" and said the decision was praiseworthy.
"Since nominating the star batsman to the Upper House is a masterstroke by Congress, the Opposition parties cannot digest it and are making unnecessary hue and cry over it," Coal Minister Jaiswal said, rubbishing the Opposition charge that Tendulkar has been nominated to divert attention from problems plaguing the government.
He said that Tendulkar is not only a star of the country but an icon in the cricketing world and by nominating him to the Rajya Sabha, the party has honoured the star batsman and there should not be any politics over it.
Asked if the step will benefit the party in the upcoming Maharashtra Assembly elections, he said the party has not looked for gains and losses, but to recognises the inexpressible performance of the cricket icon.
On conferring Bharat Ratna to Sachin, he said, "It is the country`s highest civilian award and there is a dedicated committee for it. When the right time will come he will be honoured."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter