`Sachin’s nomination to RS is Cong masterstroke`
Kanpur: Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Sunday termed the nomination of cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha as Congress` "masterstroke" and said the decision was praiseworthy.
"Since nominating the star batsman to the Upper House is a masterstroke by Congress, the Opposition parties cannot digest it and are making unnecessary hue and cry over it," Coal Minister Jaiswal said, rubbishing the Opposition charge that Tendulkar has been nominated to divert attention from problems plaguing the government.
He said that Tendulkar is not only a star of the country but an icon in the cricketing world and by nominating him to the Rajya Sabha, the party has honoured the star batsman and there should not be any politics over it.
Asked if the step will benefit the party in the upcoming Maharashtra Assembly elections, he said the party has not looked for gains and losses, but to recognises the inexpressible performance of the cricket icon.
On conferring Bharat Ratna to Sachin, he said, "It is the country`s highest civilian award and there is a dedicated committee for it. When the right time will come he will be honoured."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen