`Sachin’s nomination to RS is Cong masterstroke`
Kanpur: Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Sunday termed the nomination of cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha as Congress` "masterstroke" and said the decision was praiseworthy.
"Since nominating the star batsman to the Upper House is a masterstroke by Congress, the Opposition parties cannot digest it and are making unnecessary hue and cry over it," Coal Minister Jaiswal said, rubbishing the Opposition charge that Tendulkar has been nominated to divert attention from problems plaguing the government.
He said that Tendulkar is not only a star of the country but an icon in the cricketing world and by nominating him to the Rajya Sabha, the party has honoured the star batsman and there should not be any politics over it.
Asked if the step will benefit the party in the upcoming Maharashtra Assembly elections, he said the party has not looked for gains and losses, but to recognises the inexpressible performance of the cricket icon.
On conferring Bharat Ratna to Sachin, he said, "It is the country`s highest civilian award and there is a dedicated committee for it. When the right time will come he will be honoured."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins