`Sachin’s nomination to RS is Cong masterstroke`
Kanpur: Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Sunday termed the nomination of cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha as Congress` "masterstroke" and said the decision was praiseworthy.
"Since nominating the star batsman to the Upper House is a masterstroke by Congress, the Opposition parties cannot digest it and are making unnecessary hue and cry over it," Coal Minister Jaiswal said, rubbishing the Opposition charge that Tendulkar has been nominated to divert attention from problems plaguing the government.
He said that Tendulkar is not only a star of the country but an icon in the cricketing world and by nominating him to the Rajya Sabha, the party has honoured the star batsman and there should not be any politics over it.
Asked if the step will benefit the party in the upcoming Maharashtra Assembly elections, he said the party has not looked for gains and losses, but to recognises the inexpressible performance of the cricket icon.
On conferring Bharat Ratna to Sachin, he said, "It is the country`s highest civilian award and there is a dedicated committee for it. When the right time will come he will be honoured."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says