Sacked MCI Secretary moves CAT
New Delhi: After being removed as Secretary
of the Medical Council of India (MCI), Sangeeta Sharma on Thursday
moved the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) against the
action against her.
Sharma was sacked by MCI on March 31 and was relieved of
the charge with immediate effect.
In her petition, she challenged MCI`s decision to sack her
contending she was a permanent employee and had completed
her probation period.
She also stated in her application before CAT that her
selection was done through proper channel and was given the
appointment only after she was found eligible.
Sharma`s termination order came in the wake of Health
Ministry`s nod to MCI for sacking her, after which its Board
of Governors took the decision at its meeting on March 30.
Sources said the differences between her and Chairman of
MCI Board of Governors KK Talwar had resulted in her
Controversies had surrounded Sharma`s appointment soon
after she had joined in March last year with a probe initiated
into her appointment on the charge that the same was in
violation of rules as she did not fulfil the eligibility
criteria and was also facing charges of corruption. Sharma`s
appointment was also made allegedly without seeking the
approval of the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
Sharma had also put in her papers in June last year
alleging harsh treatment by the Council`s new Board of
Governors. She later took back her resignation after the BoG
assured her of a good work environment.
MCI, the country`s medical regulatory body, was embroiled
in an unsavoury controversy two years ago when its then
chairman Ketan Desai was arrested by CBI on charges of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31