Sacked MCI Secretary moves CAT
New Delhi: After being removed as Secretary
of the Medical Council of India (MCI), Sangeeta Sharma on Thursday
moved the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) against the
action against her.
Sharma was sacked by MCI on March 31 and was relieved of
the charge with immediate effect.
In her petition, she challenged MCI`s decision to sack her
contending she was a permanent employee and had completed
her probation period.
She also stated in her application before CAT that her
selection was done through proper channel and was given the
appointment only after she was found eligible.
Sharma`s termination order came in the wake of Health
Ministry`s nod to MCI for sacking her, after which its Board
of Governors took the decision at its meeting on March 30.
Sources said the differences between her and Chairman of
MCI Board of Governors KK Talwar had resulted in her
Controversies had surrounded Sharma`s appointment soon
after she had joined in March last year with a probe initiated
into her appointment on the charge that the same was in
violation of rules as she did not fulfil the eligibility
criteria and was also facing charges of corruption. Sharma`s
appointment was also made allegedly without seeking the
approval of the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
Sharma had also put in her papers in June last year
alleging harsh treatment by the Council`s new Board of
Governors. She later took back her resignation after the BoG
assured her of a good work environment.
MCI, the country`s medical regulatory body, was embroiled
in an unsavoury controversy two years ago when its then
chairman Ketan Desai was arrested by CBI on charges of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him