SAD (Badal) councillor sent in judicial custody by CBI court
New Delhi: Shiromani Akali Dal Councillor Dimple Chadha, accused of pressurising a builder to pay bribe to save a building from being demolished by MCD, was on Thursday remanded in 14-day judicial custody by a special CBI court here.
Special CBI judge Pradeep Chaddah remanded Dimple in judicial custody till October 17.
Dimple, who is also the Vice-President of SAD (Badal) had surrendered before CBI on September 27 after evading arrest for two weeks and being refused anticipatory bail by the court.
Dimple is a Councillor from Sant Garh in west Delhi`s Tilak Nagar and is accused of pressurising Santokh Singh, a builder in his constituency, to pay Rs 2 lakh for raising a structure or else he will get it demolished by MCD officials.
The councillor`s personal assistant Gagan Arora is also an accused in the case and was nabbed in a trap laid by CBI when he was accepting a part of the bribe money on September 14.
Complainant Santokh Singh had also written to the police seeking protection alleging that he had received a telephone call from Dimple Chadha while he was absconding and was threatened to withdraw his complaint.
The court, while rejecting his plea for anticipatory bail on September 24, had noted Dimple had been extorting money using his muscle power and misusing the armed police guards provided by Punjab Police.
"Out of hundred people who suffer extortion, only a handful gather the courage to lodge a complaint. Keeping in mind his behaviour, it would not be in the interest of justice to let him roan free," the court had said.
The judge was also told by the complainant that Dimple collects Rs 1,000 from each property dealer in the event of rallies and even wahsermen in the area are forced to pay Rs 300.
The court`s attention was also brought to the complaints registered against Dimple for threatening one Vikram Vinayak and also Yashpal Arora, director of Hyundai Service Station in his area.
Dimple had forced the automobile businessman to pay Rs 100 per car serviced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley