SAD (Badal) councillor`s judicial custody extended
New Delhi: A Delhi court extended by 14 days the judicial custody of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) Councillor Dimple Chadha, accused of pressurising a builder to pay bribe to save a building from being demolished by the MCD.
Special CBI judge Pradeep Chaddah extended Dimple`s judicial custody till November 1.
Dimple, a Councillor from Sant Garh in west Delhi`s Tilak Nagar and also the vice president of SAD (Badal), is accused of pressurising Santokh Singh, a builder in his constituency, to pay Rs 2 lakh for raising a structure or else he would get it demolished by MCD officials.
He had surrendered before CBI on September 27 after evading arrest for two weeks and being refused anticipatory bail by the court.
He was first remanded in judicial custody on October 3.
The councillor`s personal assistant Gagan Arora is also an accused in the case and was nabbed in a trap laid by CBI when he was accepting a part of the bribe money on September 14.
Complainant Santokh Singh had also written to the police seeking protection alleging that he had received a threatening telephone call from Dimple while he was absconding.
In its order rejecting Dimple`s anticipatory bail plea on September 24, the court had noted that the Dimple had been extorting money using his muscle power and misusing the armed police guards provided by Punjab Police.
"Out of hundred people who suffer extortion, only a handful gather the courage to lodge a complaint. Keeping in mind his behaviour, it would not be in the interest of justice to let him roam free," the court had said.
The judge was also told by the complainant that Dimple collects Rs 1,000 from each property dealer in the event of rallies and even washermen in the area are forced to pay Rs 300.
The court`s attention was also brought to the complaints registered against Dimple for threatening one Vikram Vinayak and also Yashpal Arora, director of an automobile service station in his area.
Dimple had forced the automobile businessman to pay Rs 100 per car serviced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India