Safdarjung Hospital students on hunger strike
New Delhi: Over 300 students of the medical college of Safdarjung Hospital here went on hunger strike Tuesday demanding "basic facilities" like water, working lifts and air-conditioning in their hostel.
The students of Vardhaman Mahavir Medical College (VMCC) complained they were without drinking water, lifts and air-conditioning for the past two months.
"We have been repeatedly requesting the administration to take action but this has fallen on deaf ears. That is why we were compelled to call the strike," Karan Vats, president of the student welfare association of VMCC, told reporters.
"The college administration has not paid heed to our problems. We have been knocking on the doors of the medical superintendent and the principal," complained Aashima, a third year MBBS student.
She said over 120 students were packed in a class room, that too without ventilation. And there was no provision of drinking water in the building.
"Two first year MBBS students who were writing their exams fainted because their room had no proper ventilation or drinking water."
The students association approached the Director General of Health Services, R.K. Srivastava, last month but there was no change in the condition.
"The hunger strike will go on till the health minister (Ghulam Nabi Azad) meets us and hears our grievances," said Vats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday