Safdarjung hospital under CCTV surveillance
New Delhi: Safdarjung Hospital has become
the first government hospital in the city to have
closed-circuit television camera surveillance of its premises
to thwart possible terror attacks and criminal activities.
150 CCTV cameras have been installed in the wards, out
patients department, operation theatre and other areas of the
hospital. One monitoring panel has been put up in the medical
superintendent`s room and a second at another place.
"We have installed a total of 150 CCTV cameras in
different areas inside the hospital premises. These got
functional from June 1 and we are the first to have it. The
objective behind installing them is to have better
surveillance and monitoring of the activities happening in the
hospital and keep a constant tab on the the flow of patients,"
medical superintendent Dr N K Mohanty said.
"Complains of theft of children, rape and various other
incidents have come due to security lapses. With these cameras
these problems will be addressed well. The cameras will also
help identify the culprits if any such incident takes place."
An expenditure of Rs 4.5 crore has been incurred by the
Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for installing the
CCTV cameras here. These have also been installed in casualty
department and parking place among other areas.
The medical superintendent also said the CCTV cameras
were used to monitor activities of medical students recently
when they had called for an indefinite strike in the hospital.
Mohanty said, "I was monitoring the activities of the
students sitting in my room, when they called for the
indefinite strike. One of the students alleged that the police
had manhandled them. When we checked with the recording, we
found that the student had lied."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145