Safety of women in Delhi should be a priority: AAP`s Rakhi Birla
New Delhi: Paying tribute to the Delhi gang rape victim on her death anniversary Women and Child Development Minister Rakhi Birla on Sunday said that not just a particular department but all the departments must ensure security for women.
"Safety of women should be the priority in every area. I have also put my suggestion before the cabinet yesterday that not just a particular department but all the departments must ensure security for women," said Birla.
"The public has given us the responsibility and we are making efforts to take strong actions. We are also in contact with the youth who play an extremely important role in the society," he said.
She further said that she had come to pay tribute to the rape victim as a common person and not as a political member.
"I have not come here as a minister or political member. I have only come here to pay my tribute, no other motive, "she said.
On December 29, 2012, a 23-year-old physiotherapy student lost her fight with life in a hospital in Singapore after being gang raped on a moving bus in New Delhi-case that outraged the country and led to stringent anti-rape laws.
The victim, who on December 16, 2012, gangraped on a moving bus, became a symbol of dangers women face in a country where a rape is reported on average every 21 minutes and acid attacks as well as cases of molestation are common.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Apple buys health startup founded by Indian-origin duo
- SHOCKING! This film director wants to 'spit' on PV Sindhu's achievement in Rio Olympics
- Prakash Javadekar commits a blooper, says Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Patel, Subhas Chandra Bose were hanged
- Absconding rape accused AISA leader Anmol Ratan to apply for anticipatory bail
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan