Safety of women in Delhi should be a priority: AAP`s Rakhi Birla
New Delhi: Paying tribute to the Delhi gang rape victim on her death anniversary Women and Child Development Minister Rakhi Birla on Sunday said that not just a particular department but all the departments must ensure security for women.
"Safety of women should be the priority in every area. I have also put my suggestion before the cabinet yesterday that not just a particular department but all the departments must ensure security for women," said Birla.
"The public has given us the responsibility and we are making efforts to take strong actions. We are also in contact with the youth who play an extremely important role in the society," he said.
She further said that she had come to pay tribute to the rape victim as a common person and not as a political member.
"I have not come here as a minister or political member. I have only come here to pay my tribute, no other motive, "she said.
On December 29, 2012, a 23-year-old physiotherapy student lost her fight with life in a hospital in Singapore after being gang raped on a moving bus in New Delhi-case that outraged the country and led to stringent anti-rape laws.
The victim, who on December 16, 2012, gangraped on a moving bus, became a symbol of dangers women face in a country where a rape is reported on average every 21 minutes and acid attacks as well as cases of molestation are common.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit