Sajjan acquittal: Vijender Gupta forced to leave protest site
New Delhi: A protest against Congress leader Sajjan Kumar`s acquittal in an 1984 anti-Sikh riots case today saw local BJP leader Vijender Gupta beating a hasty retreat from the venue after people objected to his presence.
The protesters at the indefinite fast venue of one of the riot victims, Nirpreet Kaur, started opposing the presence of Gupta, the former Delhi BJP chief, at the spot alleging that his intentions were "political".
The protest at Jantar Mantar was however attended by Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal and activists, who had extended support to Kaur and issued press statements in this regard. Kejriwal and some other leaders also sat on a day-long fast in solidarity with Kaur.
"I have no political motive. We just want to tell the anti-Sikh riot victims that we are with them in their fight for justice. The riots were no less than mass murder and if timely action would have been taken, this injustice would not have taken place," Gupta told reporters as he left the venue.
The BJP leader had reached the venue and sat on the dais along with Kejriwal. After sometime, some of the protesters objected to the presence of Gupta.
"Whenever two political parties will be at the same place, the atmosphere is obvious to be sensitive. We have no political motive, we came like a common man, not like Aam Aadmi Party who are donning their usual caps," Gupta said.
He said he came here today to extend his support and will come tomorrow as well.
When some BJP workers who accompanied Gupta pointed out that the AAP leader was sitting on the dais when the protesters claimed that it was apolitical, Kejriwal announced that they will sit along with other protesters.
However, after Gupta left, organisers requested Kejriwal to come on to the dais which he accepted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof