Salve asks police to stop traffic glitches due to VIP movement
New Delhi: Voicing concern over the traffic situation in the capital, senior Supreme Court advocate Harish Salve has said it was getting worsened by VIP movements and asked Delhi Police to take corrective steps.
Salve said blocking arterial roads in the capital during VIP movements is violative of constitutional rights and people should stand and fight against it.
"I don`t think police has the right to shut down arterial roads without prior intimation and without making alternative traffic arrangements every time a VIP decides to go from point A to point B. I think it is blatantly violative of our constitutional rights," he said.
Salve said people should assert their rights against the poor treatment they get in bad traffic situations.
"It is time that citizens of the city assert that they are the political masters of this country and they are not going to be treated like insects, the way we are treated in traffic. Anybody who is caught in the traffic, knows how you are treated," he said.
His remarks come against the backdrop of traffic disruption caused by VIP movement for the funeral of former Prime Minister I K Gujral yesterday.
Reacting to Salve`s letter, Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit sought to highlight the safety and security of vulnerable people during their movements.
"Once the Supreme Court had also said that there is something required for safety and security of certain people who are vulnerable. That should be respected," he said.
Dikshit said that the example of Gujral`s funeral was "not a very valid example because certain things we do need to do."
President Pranab Mukherjee had in the past made it clear that functions should be held in Rashtrapati Bhavan itself to avoid inconvenience to the public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend