Salve asks police to stop traffic glitches due to VIP movement
New Delhi: Voicing concern over the traffic situation in the capital, senior Supreme Court advocate Harish Salve has said it was getting worsened by VIP movements and asked Delhi Police to take corrective steps.
Salve said blocking arterial roads in the capital during VIP movements is violative of constitutional rights and people should stand and fight against it.
"I don`t think police has the right to shut down arterial roads without prior intimation and without making alternative traffic arrangements every time a VIP decides to go from point A to point B. I think it is blatantly violative of our constitutional rights," he said.
Salve said people should assert their rights against the poor treatment they get in bad traffic situations.
"It is time that citizens of the city assert that they are the political masters of this country and they are not going to be treated like insects, the way we are treated in traffic. Anybody who is caught in the traffic, knows how you are treated," he said.
His remarks come against the backdrop of traffic disruption caused by VIP movement for the funeral of former Prime Minister I K Gujral yesterday.
Reacting to Salve`s letter, Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit sought to highlight the safety and security of vulnerable people during their movements.
"Once the Supreme Court had also said that there is something required for safety and security of certain people who are vulnerable. That should be respected," he said.
Dikshit said that the example of Gujral`s funeral was "not a very valid example because certain things we do need to do."
President Pranab Mukherjee had in the past made it clear that functions should be held in Rashtrapati Bhavan itself to avoid inconvenience to the public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning