Sandeep Dikshit demands reshuffle of Delhi Police
New Delhi: With Delhi police facing flak for using force against people protesting the gang-rape of a paramedic student, Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit on Monday said there was a need to reshuffle the force for restoring people`s confidence in police system.
The December 16 gang-rape was unprecedented and subsequent protests across the country was unprecedented too, he said.
"Not only the people of Delhi but of the entire country got united and said something. And when such unprecedented incident happens government should take action. I hope the Home Minister or other will take action and will give a signal.
"I have said that if someone is transferred or shifted out that does not mean that only that person is responsible for the lapse. But, it is an issue of reposing faith, people`s faith. Buck has to stop somewhere...I still standby by my comment. Now it is up to the Home Minister who will take a call on that," he told reporters here.
Dikshit, however, denied that he had demanded resignation of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar.
The East Delhi MP hoped that whatever signal the government gives, it must restore people`s faith in policing system and police would be more sensitive in future.
Earlier, Dikshit had said there was a disconnect between officers sitting in rooms and those on the ground and demanded action against police brass for their lapses. He had said that officials below Station House Officer (SHO) rank act on their own, giving scant regard to orders from superiors.
Incidentally, the MP`s mother and Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit has been demanding that Delhi Police be brought under the control of the city government.
The Delhi Police is under the direct control of the Home Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!