Sandeep Dikshit demands reshuffle of Delhi Police
New Delhi: With Delhi police facing flak for using force against people protesting the gang-rape of a paramedic student, Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit on Monday said there was a need to reshuffle the force for restoring people`s confidence in police system.
The December 16 gang-rape was unprecedented and subsequent protests across the country was unprecedented too, he said.
"Not only the people of Delhi but of the entire country got united and said something. And when such unprecedented incident happens government should take action. I hope the Home Minister or other will take action and will give a signal.
"I have said that if someone is transferred or shifted out that does not mean that only that person is responsible for the lapse. But, it is an issue of reposing faith, people`s faith. Buck has to stop somewhere...I still standby by my comment. Now it is up to the Home Minister who will take a call on that," he told reporters here.
Dikshit, however, denied that he had demanded resignation of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar.
The East Delhi MP hoped that whatever signal the government gives, it must restore people`s faith in policing system and police would be more sensitive in future.
Earlier, Dikshit had said there was a disconnect between officers sitting in rooms and those on the ground and demanded action against police brass for their lapses. He had said that officials below Station House Officer (SHO) rank act on their own, giving scant regard to orders from superiors.
Incidentally, the MP`s mother and Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit has been demanding that Delhi Police be brought under the control of the city government.
The Delhi Police is under the direct control of the Home Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly