Sandeep Dikshit files nomination papers
New Delhi: Congress candidate and sitting MP Sandeep Dikshit Friday filed his nomination papers from East Delhi Lok Sabha constituency.
Flanked by hundreds of Congress workers and amid slogan shouting, Dikshit, 49, submitted his nomination papers before the Returning officer at Deputy Commissioner`s office in East Delhi.
Exuding confidence of retaining his seat, Dikshit said, "Though we lost the Delhi assembly elections, there is no loss of enthusiasm among party workers. We are confident of winning this time around as the so-called wave is over."
In an apparent attack on AAP-led Delhi government, Dikshit said, "An illusion was created by making attractive promises and people thought to give other parties a chance thinking their lives would be better. They were attracted towards those promises of other parties. This happens sometimes, but now that so-called wave is over."
On a question on BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s "wave" in the country, Dikshit said there was no such thing on ground and it was just a "creation" of media.
"As far as Modi`s wave is concerned, there is a lot of confusion and resentment in the party. One candidate is angry about not getting Lok Sabha ticket, while another is not ready to contest from the given seat. What kind of wave is that?" Dikshit said, adding that Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi has given a strong leadership to the party.
Dikshit faces a three-cornered contest in the constituency as BJP has fielded Maheish Girri while AAP`s Rajmohan Gandhi is the other main contender.
On his way out of the DC`s office after filing nomination papers, Dikshit was hoisted on shoulders by party workers, who jostled to meet and shake hands with their leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH