Sangma attends BJP Central office-bearers meeting
New Delhi: Opposition nominee for Presidential election PA Sangma on Monday attended the BJP meeting of Central office-bearers here and thanked the party for supporting his candidature for the top post.
In a surprise move, Sangma - who had recently quit his membership of the NCP before filing his nomination for the presidential election - reached the BJP office this afternoon and participated in the party meeting which was discussing the strategy for the July 19 poll.
"Sangma was present in the meeting of the BJP office- bearers. He thanked the party for supporting his candidature," BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
BJP president Nitin Gadkari had convened the meeting of Central office-bearers of the party here today. The main agenda was the Presidential election and how support should be mustered for Sangma.
The party will arrange for a meeting of BJP MLAs with Sangma in each state where it has a sizable presence. As part of his campaign, Sangma will be visiting most of the states to solicit support of MLAs.
Sangma, whose nomination is backed by AIADMK and BJD along with BJP and some of its NDA allies, is seeking support across party lines.
NDA Working Chairperson LK Advani later held a meeting of chief ministers of BJP-ruled states to discuss the Presidential poll. Narendra Modi (Gujarat CM), Sadananda Gowda (Karnataka), Raman Singh (Chhattisgarh), Manohar Parrikar (Goa), Shivraj Singh Chouhan (Madhya Pradesh), and Prem Kumar Dhumal (Himachal Pradesh) were present. Bihar Deputy CM Sushil Kumar Modi also attended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- Doha airport brings in passenger tax
- Jason Gillespie to leave Yorkshire at end of season
- Myanmar holds unique position in India's neighbourhood, says PM Narendra Modi
- Bangladesh's Tamim Iqbal out for a month with fractured finger, to miss ODI series vs Afghanistan
- GST will make consumer goods cheaper, boost jobs: CBEC