Sanjiv Bhatt withdraws petition from SC
New Delhi: Suspended Gujarat cadre IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt on Friday withdrew his petition seeking stay on criminal proceedings against him in a 1990 incident of alleged police atrocity that resulted in the death of one
Appearing before a bench headed by Justice B S Chauhan, Bhatt`s lawyer submitted that he wanted to withdrw the plea to approach the Gujarat High Court against the trial court order, rejecting to pardon the delay on his part in filing the review petition in the case. The bench then allowed his plea.
Bhatt had approached the Supreme Court, challenging a Gujarat High Court order, refusing to stay the criminal proceedings against him in the case.
The high court, while refusing to stay the criminal proceeding against Bhatt, had observed that the framing of charges against him would be subject to outcome of his criminal revision and condonation of delay applications which the Jamnagar court would be deciding upon.
According to case details, one Prabhudas Vaishnani, who was arrested during a communal flare-up in Jamkhambhalia town in Jamnagar in 1990, died in a hospital few days after he was released from police custody.
Following this, Vaishnani?s brother Amrutlal filed a complaint against Bhatt and six others. The Gujarat government then took the position that Bhatt and others had acted in discharge of duty and filed a revision petition in the session court in 1996, halting the criminal proceedings.
This revision petition was withdrawn by the state government in July last year, thereby exposing Bhatt and others to prosecution.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata