Sartaj Aziz meets Hurriyat leaders, draws sharp reactions
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif`s Foreign Affairs Adviser Sartaj Aziz met with the Kashmiri separatist groups on Sunday in the national capital.
Sartaj Aziz along with Pakistan High Commissioner Salman Bashir on Sunday evening reached Pakistan High Commission here to meet the moderate faction led by Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Umer Farooq.
Apart from Farooq, JKLF chief Yasin Malik, hardline Hurriyat Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani also met with Aziz inside Pakistan High Commission. Dukhtaran-e-Millat Chief Asiya Andrabi also held meeting with Aziz.
After the meeting, while saying that this is not the first time that the Hurriyat is meeting Pakistan leadership, Farooq said, "We need cooperation rather than confrontation on peace issues." He further added that, "The meeting was aimed at solving the Kashmir issue which is a key element for normalising ties between India and Pakistan."
Earlier today, BJP president Rajnath Singh hit out at the UPA government and said that by allowing Aziz to hold talks with Kashmiri separatist leaders the UPA government has committed another diplomatic blunder.
Rajnath had tweeted, "Shocked to see that the UPA government has allowed Pakistan PM`s advisor Sartaj Aziz to hold talks with Kashmiri separatist leaders in New Delhi."
However, the government said that when it comes to the issue of Kashmir it is not going to compromise in any way.
On the contentious issue between India and Pakistan regarding J&K, Rajnath maintained, "Kashmir issue is India’s internal matter and it should be resolved through a home grown solution."
Reacting strongly against the meeting, BJP leader Shahnawaz Hussain said, “How can UPA allow Mr. Aziz to hold talks with kashmiri separatists at a time when even talks btw Indian govt & Pak govt should not be held?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise