Satyendra Kumar Jain: Architect-turned-minister
New Delhi: Satyendra Kumar Jain, an architect by profession, quit his job with Central Public Works Department (CPWD) due to prevailing corruption in the Department and turned to politics.
An MLA from Shakur Basti, 49-year-old Jain defeated BJP`s Shyam Lal Garg by a margin of 7,062 votes.
Jain, among six MLAs, has been chosen to be part of the cabinet headed by Arvind Kejriwal who has been sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Delhi.
He has been allocated the Health and Industries Department in the Kejriwal-led Delhi government.
Jain had actively participated in the Anna Hazare`s Jan Lokpal movement where he came in touch with Arvind Kejriwal.
Jain, a well known social worker, helped Chitrakoot based social organisation Drishti, working for visually impaired girls, with construction of the organisation’s building.
He is also associated with social organisation Sparsh, which works for mentally challenged children. He also organises mass marriages for poor girls.
A native of Baghpat in Uttar Pradesh, Jain, who lives in Saraswati Vihar in a joint family, starts his day at 6.30 AM meeting people and listening to their problems.
Making a stunning debut in the 70-member Assembly polls, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) riding on a strong "anti-incumbency" wave routed Congress`s 15-year-rule where its leader Kejriwal trounced three-time Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit by a margin of more than 25,000 votes.
The other Cabinet ministers who took oath along with Kejriwal are Manish Sisodia, Rakhi Birla, Saurabh Bhardwaj, Girish Soni and Somnath Bharti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM