SC asks BSES firms to respond to DVC plea on payment of dues
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought responses from BSES Yamuna Ltd and BSES Rajdhani Ltd on the allegation by power generating company Damodar Valley Corporation that the two distribution firms in national capital have not complied with its order to make payment of their dues.
A bench headed by Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai issued notice to the two discoms of Reliance Infrastructure Ltd on DVC`s contention that BSES Yamuna and BSES Rajdhani owed around Rs 770 crore and Rs 190 crore respectively to the company.
The state-owned power generating firm filed a contempt petition submitting that the two distribution companies did not abide by the order and did not pay their dues even as it continued supply of electricity to the two BSES companies as per a 2010 order of the apex court.
The court which sought response in three weeks from the power distribution company also asked the DVC to "find out whether the matter can be resolved amicably".
The DVC counsel said the apex court, while dealing with a public interest litigation on power crisis in the National Capital, had in October 2010 passed an order directing the power generator to continue supply of electricity and asked the two distribution companies to clear their dues.
The PIL filed in 1999 was disposed of on November 23, 2012 by the apex court which observed, "We are satisfied that the power situation in the city has improved tremendously. Therefore, it is high time that we stop further monitoring in the case. Accordingly, we close the petition with liberty to the parties to approach this court as and when the situation so warrants."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in