SC asks Chhatisgarh govt to explain raising of Koya Commando
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday asked
the Chhattisgarh government to explain as to under what rule
it has created an armed group of special police officers -
Koya Commando - as anti-Naxal vigilance group.
A bench of justices B Sudershan Reddy and S S Nijjar
asked the state government to file an affidavit on the raising
of Koya commando and also state under what rule they are being
supplied arms and ammunition. The court posted the matter for
further hearing on April 15.
"The affidavit will tell under which rule the Koya
Commandos are appointed and under which rule they are given
arms and ammunition? We must know it," the bench said, while
making it clear that the affidavit has to be filed by a senior
"What is this Koya Commando? How are they appointed
and how are they given training etc? It is very dangerous
giving them arms to fight," the bench observed.
The court passed the order while hearing a petition
against the existence of Salwa Judum in Naxal-infested regions
of the state to fight Maoists.
The petition had been filed by sociologist Nandini
Sundar, historian Ramchandra Guha, former bureaucrat E A S
Sarma and others seeking a direction to the state government
to refrain from allegedly supporting Salwa Judum.
During the hearing, Swami Agnivesh informed the court
about last month`s incident when he was attacked by a group of
people - allegedly the SPOs and Salwa Judum volunteers, when
he was visiting a Naxal region near Dantewada with some
Chhattisgarh government informed the bench that it has
already ordered an inquiry by the district judge into the
Senior advocate Harish Salve, appearing for the state
government, however, sought liberty from the court to persuade
Chief Minister Raman Singh to order an inquiry by the
Chhattisgarh High Court judge.
He said this was necessary considering the sensitivity
of the incident and because of the different versions of the
public about the incident.
The Special Police officer/group has been given the
name of Koya Commando on the basis of the names of a tribe of
the Dantewada region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened