SC lawyers seek CJI`s intervention to ensure safety of women
New Delhi: Amid the nation-wide outrage over December 16 assault and gang-rape of 23-year-old Delhi student, who died on Saturday, the Supreme Court Bar Association has written to Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir for his intervention to ensure women`s safety and for quick disposal of rape cases.
In its letter to the CJI, the SCBA said the court should immediately take up the PIL filed on the issue by a retired IAS officer Promilla Shanker and pass appropriate orders to ensure women`s safety.
"It is humbly prayed that Hon’ble Lordship may hear the above detailed matter immediately and issue interim directions to ensure time bound compliance by State and Central governments which will not only bring back confidence of the people in the democracy but also strengthen the judicial system," said the letter, signed by SCBA Secretary Pareena Swarup.
"Your honour being the highest court of justice, is also the custodian of fundamental rights and thus the last ray of hope for crores of women and children of this country. Prominent legal luminaries have also echoed the same and prayed for intervention of the highest court of justice to implement the Rule of Law and establish administration of justice," the letter said.
In her PIL, Promilla has pleaded with the court to direct the governments to set up fast track court in all states for expeditious trial of rape cases.
She also submitted that cases of rape and crime against women and children be investigated by lady police officials and trial be heard by lady judges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof