SC refers AAP`s petition to dissolve Delhi Assembly to Constitution bench
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday referred a petition filed by Aam Aadmi Party against imposition of President`s Rule in Delhi to a Constitution bench.
The SC`s decision came a day after former Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal accompanied by AAP legislators met President Pranab Mukherjee to demand immediate dissolution of the Assembly and fresh elections in Delhi.
The apex court had on May 05 posted for July 04 the hearing on the petition after it was informed that Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung had decided to deal with the matter after the conclusion of Lok Sabha polls.
A bench headed by Chief Justice RM Lodha was requested by senior counsel Fali Nariman, appearing for AAP, to keep the matter for hearing in first week of July as the LG had informed that he will deal with the issue after 16 May.
Advocate Prashant Bhushan, an AAP leader, had also made the same request and said nobody is coming forward to claim for formation of government.
He had also submitted that elections are being held and the results may change the ground reality since the last Assembly Elections.
The apex court had earlier said that there was no legal impediment for the President to dissolve the Delhi Assembly to pave the way for fresh election in the state.
The bench, however, had clarified that it was not passing any direction in any manner in this regard and it was for the President to decide on the basis of the facts and circumstances.
Delhi has been under President`s Rule since February 17 after Kejriwal resigned as chief minister over the stalling of the Jan Lokpal bill in the Assembly.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?