SC restrains Delhi govt from razing night shelters
New Delhi: Taking suo motu cognisance of reports that night shelters have been razed in the city in the midst of winter, the Supreme Court on Wednesday restrained the Delhi Government from demolishing any such shelter, temporary or permanent, in the capital.
A bench of justices Dalveer Bhandari and Deepak Verma while asking the government to refrain from demolishing such shelters, listed for urgent hearing tomorrow the issue.
"Do not take any steps to demolish otherwise we will pass orders," the bench observed.
The apex court`s direction comes in the wake of media reports about demolition of night shelters by the DDA and other authorities in utter disregard of the lives of thousands of homeless destitutes who have been spending the night in such facilities.
The apex court said it was taking up the matter on a priority basis tomorrow, "in view of the biting cold, as no purpose could be served if the matter was taken after February as originally scheduled."
When one of the counsel for Delhi government said that 64 permanent and 43 temporary night shelters have been set up, the bench said it was more concerned about the reports of demolition by the authorities as reported in the newspapers.
"We hope the reports are not true," the bench remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug