SC stays death sentence of rapist murderer
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today stayed the
execution of the death sentence of a person convicted for
rape and murder of a widow in Bangalore 12 years ago after the
convict B A Umesh pleaded that his review petition should be
heard in an open court.
A bench of justices justices Altamas Kabir and A K Pathak
had on February 1 upheld the death sentence on the ground that
it fell within the category of rarest of rare cases,
warranting death penalty.
However, today, Kiran Suri and Gudutta Ankolekar, the
counsel for the convict, through a fresh writ petition, sought
a stay of the death sentence execution on the ground that his
review petition was already pending before the apex court.
The counsel, in their writ petition, pleaded that all
review petitions filed in death sentence cases be heard in an
open court with oral arguments, and if necessary, Order XL,
Rule 2 of the Supreme Court Rules, 1966, be amended to bring
about that change. Under that rule, review petitions are now
heard in the judges chambers.
The bench of justices B Sudershan Reddy and S S Nijjar,
before whom the matter was mentioned, stayed the execution
while issuing a notice to Karnataka government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?