SC strength up to 27 as Justice Gogoi takes oath
New Delhi: Justice Ranjan Gogoi was on Monday sworn in as a Supreme Court judge, raising the strength of the apex court to 27 against the approved strength of 31.
Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia administered the oath of office to Justice Gogoi, the former Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court.
On April 2, Justice Fakir Muhammad Ibrahim Kalifulla was elevated to the apex court from the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
Justice Gogoi had taken charge as the Punjab and Haryana High Court Chief Justice on February 12, last year. He had joined the judiciary on February 28, 2001 when he was made a permanent judge of the Gauhati High Court.
He was transferred to High Court of Punjab and Haryana and had assumed charge of office on September 9, 2010.
Born on November 18, 1954, Justice Gogoi had joined the Bar in 1978. He had practiced mainly in the Gauhati High Court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed