SC strength up to 27 as Justice Gogoi takes oath
New Delhi: Justice Ranjan Gogoi was on Monday sworn in as a Supreme Court judge, raising the strength of the apex court to 27 against the approved strength of 31.
Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia administered the oath of office to Justice Gogoi, the former Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court.
On April 2, Justice Fakir Muhammad Ibrahim Kalifulla was elevated to the apex court from the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
Justice Gogoi had taken charge as the Punjab and Haryana High Court Chief Justice on February 12, last year. He had joined the judiciary on February 28, 2001 when he was made a permanent judge of the Gauhati High Court.
He was transferred to High Court of Punjab and Haryana and had assumed charge of office on September 9, 2010.
Born on November 18, 1954, Justice Gogoi had joined the Bar in 1978. He had practiced mainly in the Gauhati High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj