SC tells NTPC not to cut power supply to Delhi till March 26
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: In a relief for the citizens of Delhi, the Supreme Court on Friday instructed the NTPC not to act on its threat of cutting power supply to Reliance Infra-run power discoms BRPL and BYPL.
Hearing a plea of the BSES whose subsidiaries supply power to nearly 70 percent of the city, the SC said the people of Delhi should not be made to suffer because of the payment dispute between BSES and NTPC.
Asking NTPC to keep supplying power to power discoms till March 26 when it will hear the matter again, the court ordered the BSES to pay Rs 50 crores to NTPC within the next two weeks.
BRPL and BYPL had approached the apex court yesterday against NTPC after it threatened to cut off power supply for non-payment of outstanding dues.
The plea was today heard by an SC bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam.
Last week, NTPC had served notices to BSES Rajdhani Power Limited and BSES Yamuna Power Limited on the issue of payment security mechanism and non-payment of outstanding dues to the state-run company.
After issuing notices to BRPL and BYPL on February 1, NTPC had on February 4 said it was in trouble and unless its dues are cleared, the company may have to stop power supply to these discoms.
These bills, due to BSES Rajdhani and Yamuna, are for the amount of power consumed in December and billed in January to be payable by the end of January, PTI added.
Yesterday, the Reliance Infra-backed BSES discoms demanded the Delhi government and municipal corporations to clear their Rs 450 crore "dues" in order to overcome their immediate "financial difficulties".
In a letter to the Aam Aadmi Party-led government which has threatened to cancel the licences of two power discoms, the companies sought payment of Rs 262 crore of subsidy due to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof